Re: Winshield Seal Replacement

Gordy Stedman wrote:

  Seasons greatings to all Scirocco lovers.  I am new to this email list
  thing so go easy on me if I screw things up.  Just got a new winshield
  seal  for my A1 and was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for
  an  easy  install.   I tried to do an install years ago on an A2 using
  the  string method and ended up cracking the bottom corner and ruining
  the  window.   My  A1  has  the dash out so that might make it easier.
  Thanks.
________

Welcome, welcome:

I want to point out two different links to our own beloved Scirocco.Org web site. (Many hands have gone into it's current state of goodness.)

<http://www.scirocco.org/tech>
Under the Tech Procedures select MISC and then Windshield Replacement.

Note: some people like using slippery stuff like soap, but I believe it won't be good to keep in there long term. Better to use something like a wax or a grease, something that wont hold water long term.

Now, I wrote it but it could stand to be augmented by the portion of this FAQ that deals with Leaks:
<http://www.scirocco.org/faq/misc/#leak>

It mentions not using silicon sealant to fix leaky seals. (I don't recommend ANY sealant for _new_ installs of window seals in A1 cars, just being overly inclusive info wise.)

HEY BRETT! I changed my email address since the 'How To' was posted. No longer a Mindspring customer. 'tank you.

hth,
TBerk