Re: Stake your axle nuts!

John,
 I'd say you didn't get the new bearings fully seated when you installed
them the first time, and driving the car finished the seating job, leaving
the nut somewhat loose.
Larry
sandiego16v

 had
it happen to my sister's 97 GTI.  I replaced a bad wheel bearing, torqued
the nut to spec and a month or so later she called to say something was
wrong.  Turns out it worked loose.  I retorqued it and it happened again
a while later.  I loctitied it and haven't had any problems since.

John