to part, or not to part, that is the question (longish)

i've been toying around with the idea for a while. if you read my last post regarding the no start issue, then you get a general idea of what's been happening. first one thing, then another. none of my, nor my family's vw's have given me this much trouble (even my dad's rusty carbed '84 rabbit). i bought car in west virginia. very little brakes and bad tires and the car gave up a half hour after leaving (reason unknown). replaced engine and had few problems with running. after looking the car over i've found multiple small holes where the sunroof wind deflector was loose and tapped the paint away exposing the metal, etc. also found a decent dent that had been bondoed under the license place. the hood is smacked in the front, the left fender has a sizable dent, and both doors are rusted through under the front quarter glass. to beat all i went out the other day to sit on a wet seat (apparently the sunroof leaks - probably because the roof around the panel is slightly bent down in a couple placed) and i've always had problems with the hatch sealing (even after readjusting the seal). on the other hand, the unibody portions of the car are in relatively good shape (save the roof). a few dents here and there, but a solid floor and underside. that, plus when it runs, it runs well. when i swapped the engine, i only replaced the engine, not the electronics (where i think most the gremlins reside). when we bled the brakes it was green (think pond scum) and the power steering gave up the ghost not long ago. as it is, i generally don't have problems with it, but with all the things that will NEED replaced (doors, heater core, windshield (scratched to hell), fender, etc.) i wonder if it wouldn't behoove me to buy another '85/'86 mars red or graphite metallic with engine problems and swap things over. as you can see, i've something to think over and, you all, being sympathetic to the disease may be able to relate. i don't want to remove a perfectly good running scirocco from the road but i can't admit to myself that this isn't a perfectly good running car. i guess if anyone knows of an '85 (preferred) or '86 mars red or graphite metallic scirocco for sale, with a good body and no leaks, for cheap that would determine the fate. until then, i appreciate any insight on wrestling with this particular daemon. thanx.

--
 /\_/\	  Foxx (in a box)
< o o >	  http://foxx.tripod.com