From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Cory Langford
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 2:58 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: VIN on Rain tray or NOT?

I have a slight issue I am trying to clear up.  In order to get all the
plumbing, etc into the '86 roc I have been thinking about cutting out a
portion of the rain tray.

I have come across a few people here that have told me not to because I
will get a whole lot of hassle from the local police and insurance
companies.  It seems it is illegal to modify any part of the car that
has a
VIN present on it.  This makes some sense to me, BUT does the rain tray
actually carry a VIN?

I know on the older 77 (I think it was) the rain tray was completely
bare.
No identifying numbers at all.  On all the other rocs I have had there
are
definitely numbers in the rain tray, but I can't see them being an
actual
VIN because there are some missing.  It seems like they put some kind of
chassis id there that is part of the vin, but the entire vin is not on
the
rain tray.

So I need to find out if the id markings on the rain tray are considered
VIN or not, and where to go to find this info out definitively.

Any help?

TIA

Cory Langford
'78 G60 MK1 - The Newest Project (and current Daily Driver)
'86 turbo project - The Next daily driver?
'65 Ghia - The next project in the garage
'79 Cheap Ass turbo daily driver - RIP