Re: WTB: Fenders

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 19:07:42 -0500, Bryan Rankin <d_x20@hotmail.com> wrote:
I'm kind of more interested in fiberglass fenders, fearing that people
taking the fenders off their car will have the same troubles i've had.  I've
read about show-cars, and no way will i buy from them, can anyone reccomend
a good place to get them from?

Beware of fibreglass fenders.  It's difficult to make a Mk1 fender out
of fibreglass in one piece, so some manufacturers splice two pieces
together to make one fender.  I haven't heard many good things over
the years about Mk1 fibreglass fenders - you can almost guarantee that
a bunch of work will have to be done to them to make them straight and
fit properly.  If you're paying someone to do the bodywork, you may be
better off buying the NOS ones.

I have an extra set of Mk1 fenders (off the car) that are rust free,
but need a bit of work to be perfect.  If you can't find anything, let
me know and I may part with them...

BTW, $200 for a NOS fender isn't a bad deal at all.  If you pass on
them, let me know your source - I may scoop a set...

Later,

Mark.
75
80 S