De : scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org [mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] De la part de GGehrke
Envoyé : 7 janvier 2005 18:35
À : Scirocco list
Objet : Re: VIN on Rain tray or NOT?

I'm so glad my local inspectors are inept. My car has at least 2 different VINs and neither the sticker nor the plate on the dash are in their original condition. Nobody ever even looked at those, much less digging under the hood or elsewhere for another number.
Kentucky doesn't have emissions anymore, either.

-Grant-

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 10:53:21 -0800, Cory Langford <corylang@dccnet.com> wrote: > > I know VW stamped some kind of ID numbers into pretty much every vehicle. > so in '81 they started using the rain tray for rocs ('76-80 they used > the strut tower?) > > BUT, I am suspicious of it actually being an official vin. > > For example, my '86 has vwvZZZ53Zgk025745 stamped on the rain tray. > It seems just enough to identify the type that is a VW, Scirocco made > in Osnabrueck in 1986 and which production number it was. > > The Z's are replaced with actual numbers referring to the engine type, > etc that was placed in the body. This VIN, then has the check digits > applied and the sticker it placed on the B pillar, etc. > > So the ID seems to be VW's way of identifying the actual chassis as it > rolls of the assembly line and nothing else. With the missing pieces > I don't think you could really call it an official VIN. > > So I need something concrete, because around here they are really sticky. > Even if the vin looks like it has never been tampered with, if they > find any thing on the panel that looks like it could possibly lead to > a vin change they cause you a whole lot of grief. > > I have had to explain many times (and have my cars looked over by "vw > specialized" inspectors because the stupid paper id they put on the > hatch that has the vin on it usually disappears, and that is > technically "illegal" because all the original vin must be left untouched on a car. > > > At 04:32 PM 01/06/2005 -0600, Jeff Toomasson wrote: > >VW began listing the numbers on the raintray in 1981. Before that > >they were stamped on the passenger side strut tower.