Re: Megasquirt(yeah again)

Couple thoughts intersperced with Ron's.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Pieper" <rapieper@yahoo.com>
To: "Scourge" <scourge@cogeco.ca>; "Rocco list" <Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 6:17 AM
Subject: Re: Megasquirt(yeah again)

--- Scourge <scourge@cogeco.ca> wrote:

> So if you read my previous post, you saw that I'm considering
> megasquirt.
> I'll be doing it on a budget, and i'm not sure of everything required to
> make it happen.
> I know I'll need a laptop, injectors, the MS setup(duh, lol), fuel rail,
> and various sensors.
> But what else do I need? And what sensors specifically are required for
> it?

In addition to what you mentioned, you will want:
- good grade wire suitable for underhood use.  Not Radio Shack stuff.

There are wiring kits available for the MS. See http://www.rs-autosport.com/
They also have contacts and connector bodies, etc....

- a good method to label the wires clearly and permanently.
- suitable wire lugs and crimpers
- a wire retention method.  I used spiral wrap.  Bulk heat shrink tubing
will work as well, or
split sheath.
- tie wraps.  Lots.
- I bought and built the MS relay kit, FWIW.  You'll have to come up with
a way to mount it.  I
used half of a stock pc board aluminum box that I cut down to suit.  Also,
I mounted the relay box
inside the car to best protect it and the connections.

The relay kit is nice depending on how you do your installation.
You need power for the MS itself which is negligible and can just be fused.
Power for the injectors. Again, this can just be fused.
Fuel pump. I just used the stock relay for this.
Fast idle. If you use the stock mechanical fast idle there is no power
requirement (other than stock wiring!) If you use a solenoid type the current is pretty high, so it would need a relay. O2 sensor. If yours is 3 or 4 wire you need to power the heater circuit. I'd use a relay for this.

So, depending on how you do it and what things the MS controls (or not) you may get by with a couple fuses.

- sensors...you can adapt MS to use the stock Bosch coolant temp sensor
(either resistor change or
flashable parameter).  You will need an intake air temp sensor.  I used
the GM one they recommend.

Intake air temp, coolant temp, O2 sensor (WB is prefered) and Throttle position sensor.
The TPS is the big PITA!

- Don't forget you'll need a method to filter the incoming air.  You have
seen my solution
(Chrysler K-car airbox and homemade tube with VW boots to adapt it all).
- You'll need time, patience, and organization; things I struggle with but
I did get it all
together and running.
- Scan and print the factory electrical diagrams on 11x17" paper.  Make
two copies, one a working
copy and the other as a final as-built version.  Mark down every last
thing you add, modify, or
remove. Then scan that version in case the original gets destroyed!

Ron has a good point here. You should document the wiring that you create so you can trouble shoot it in the future. Most of the MS wiring is simply an addition to the stock wiring, depending on how you do it. So, the stock MS wiring diagram annotated with wire color and gauge may be enough.

- You will need to determine how to plumb the setup.  I can offer some
guidance here.  I recommend
flaring the factory lines vs. using compression fittings.

Hmmm....I just cut the plastic hose off the factory barbed fitting on the fuel filter outlet and the return line and clamped a high pressure rated rubber hose to that.

- a laptop; doesn't have to be the latest and greatest.  Mine is a
hand-me-down running Windows 98
and works fine.

You may consider MS AVR; a prebuilt unit which apparently can mount
underhood and not require the
relay kit.

I don't know why it wouldn't need the same relays as the MS?
All I can say about MS AVR is it appears to me that you need to have a BSEE if you intend to use one cause the documentation available for it is pathetic compared to MS! Also, once you get familiar with the basic MS, check out http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/
MS has come along way from fuel only control!

Dan

The relay kit does clutter things a bit, but IMO it simplifed
the interface and made
things easier overall.

HTH, I'm sure there's more I forgot...

Ron