TT 16v Exhaust repair coupler

Hello.  Was wondering if getting this repair coupler for my exhaust on the rocco would be a good idea.  I have been putting welds down on this connection for the past year now to hold it together when the motor revs.  I would eventually like to do the 2.0 9A conversion.  Do I need a different exhaust coming from the motor when I do the conversion to accomodate the 9A block?  Or will I be able to use the stock 16v exhaust that is currently on the 1.8l.  Just wondering if I should go and get the TT coupler or wait till I convert the motor.  I have thrown so many welds on the pipe coupler that I'm afraid I'll have nothing left to weld to.  Thanks for any sugggestions.
Chadster 16v