Re: How to position your tourque Down Low?

If you want all your power below 4,500 get a TDI you
will be very satisfied with the torque curve.

2 things that will build torque.  Displacement and
compression (and a turbo, but thats another post). Advancing the cam timing will help put the power more
where you want it.  I would stick to the smaller end
for exhaust too as it will build greater velocity at
lower revs 2" or 2.25"max.  A g-cam would probably be
a good bet.  I'd forget about head work because in the
*old* TT catalog I have their heads didn't make any
difference below 4,500 rpm the gains were all after
that. Of course that was on a 1.8L so a 2.0L might
differ.
Bang for the $$  shave the head & use a g-cam with 2"
or 2.25" exhaust and a good downpipe

$0.02
Tony

--- T Berk <tberk@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

George's recent upgrade questions got me thinking; I
am not a big fan of living in the high revs. I'd like to get most of my work out of the motor from2k to 4.5k or so, winding it out to redline just doesn't fit my style. Thats what the next gear is for.

In upgrading/tuning we see a lot of things to do but
they seem to really kick in way up high in the RPMs, hence the need for an adjustable cam gear to bring the power band way on down to the
promised land.

Lets use this as a basic lump:

Two Liter Audi 3A block
JH (Rabbit GTI) solid lifter Head
Dual Manifold/Downpipe to;
2.25-2.5 exhaust with cat and resonator.

Things to consider:

- Size of Exhaust.
- Timing Advancement.
- Cam