RE: S&S headers; now no flex joints

Is anyone using an exhaust system with out any flex joints?

Rick.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dick Y Wong [mailto:sailingfc@dslextreme.com] Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 3:41 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Cc: Rick Kellner
Subject: RE: S&S headers; general header comments

My header is similar to the S&S.  It has a ball joint in the same place.
Notice there is a short piece of pipe after the flange.  For my
application,
i.e., w/cat, I cut off the pipe section after the flange and that is
where
my cat bolts up.  The rest of the TT system bolted right up after the
cat.
I think they made the header with this extra length of pipe for those
running without cats.
Anyway, this issue I have with this type of flex joint is that it will
rotate since it is a ball joint.  I had to provide additional support on
the
back end of the exhaust system to hold the system from twisting from
it's
own weight.  With the VW accordion flex pipe, the twist was held in
check
all the way up to the block/tranny via the two factory brackets.
Otherwise
the system starts to sag after a bit.  The most noticeable sag area is
where
the pipe makes the turn towards the drivers side of the car, just in
front
of the gas tank.  I have to rig up a support that holds that "elbow".  I
then tied it to the bolt that protrudes from the body which holds one of
the
straps of the gas tank.  If your under the car, you'll see it.  Not the
best
attachment point, but it's working so far.  Maybe someone can think of a
better way.  HTH.
My $0.07 (adjusted for inflation). ;-)

-Dick-
78 Scirocco