[SPAM] Re: Need list opinion for final decision on purchase

Do it!
John
----- Original Message ----- From: "GGehrke" <ggehrke@gmail.com>
To: "Scirocco list" <Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 8:38 PM
Subject: Need list opinion for final decision on purchase

So I've been thinking very seriously for some time now about buying
this car.  It's in Vegas.  It had an engine overheating problem, but
it seems to be entirely fixed after replacing the radiator cap.  The
paint is a little rough but photos show it to be in very good
condition as far as rust goes (in my opinion).  I have asked him every
question I could possibly think of about the condition of the car
(I'll list outstanding problems below).  It's got an $800 asking price
which I've already told the buyer I'd plan to offer him if the rad cap
solved the cooling issue.  It would cost me another 800 to ship so I
plan to drive it east over spring break.

Here's the link to the vortex thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd=tshow&id=1815611
and especially his "more pictures" part:
http://roger.frostbox.com/pictures/car/scirocco/?N=A
(pay special attention to the forsale-2-14-05 folder, I requested most
of those pictures to demonstrate structural rust condition)

Here are current problems with it:
+Potential for overheating issues.  Appears to be fine, but there's
potential.
+Needs a respray.  Not urgent.  I am pretty good with body work myself.
+Suspension may need refreshing.  Boge shocks feel "a bit soft" so he
thinks they've gone bad.  Tires have minor dry rotting.
+Headliner is a bit ratty and some interior trim is missing (much of
which I have from my other car)
+No radio or speakers
+Rain tray is busted up, leaks a little (carpet "gets damp overnight
in the rain")
+Some rust, appears to be mostly surface, in the engine bay.

The suspension, paint and audio are fine with me because those are
things I would like to improve on early in the buildup process.  It
has lots of new parts (fuel pump, thermostat, waterpump, thermotime
switch, head gasket).  Engine was bought direct from the factory in 86
and has under 50K.  Swap done by his dad who owned a VW mechanic shop.

My last car looked pretty good to me when I bought it, and then I
realized I was in over my head.  It was a mistake.  I don't want to
make a mistake again, so I'm asking the list for harsh honest
opinions.  I want a car that I don't have to worry about the rust
(like on my current car, where the rear axle is in danger of falling
off) but not some pristine time capsule car that I will overpay for.
I want a project but not something that will require a complete
overhaul.

Is this it?

-Grant-

P.S.  Kudos if you actually read all that.