Re: Need list opinion for final decision on purchase

This is the only thing I'd be worried about with this car...  What
does he mean by "busted up'?   Is it rotted (usually rots where
anything is bolted to the rain tray)?  How long has it been leaking?

"Busted up" is my assessment of it.  In the picture you can see that
the little plastic part is busted up.  I guess that's not even
technically the rain tray, though.  It does leak, but he says its not
bad.  I plan to diagnose and do what I can to fix that as one of my
first orders of business, though.  I can pull that part from my
current car.  (I've considered trying to reproduce it in fiberglass,
this might be a good opportunity for that)

The first thing I'd do with that car is rip up the carpets and
underpadding in the front footwells.  A surpising amount of rust could
be hiding under there if it's been leaking for years...

Don't I know it.  I pulled up the carpet in my current 1980 to find
that it was in fact a 79 (brake lines) and had holes rusted clear
through in many places.  I wanted him to try to take a picture of that
area but I think he misunderstood my directions.  Oh well.  I'm pretty
confident it's okay, and if not it's a good excuse to learn to do some
body repair patch welding in an area that's not cosmetically critical
and move the fuse panel to the back :p

-Grant-