Suspension

Craig,

  I don't know if you'd like the H&R coilovers...it's a pretty aggressive setup.  I had the Eibach springs/Bilstein sport setup on my S16V and it was pretty good.  Topped off with a Neuspeed anti-sway bar up front and the car was very responsive without sacrificing comfort.

  I also had a similar oil burning issue; turned out that the cylinder head gasket was close to failure.  Caught it in time and had it changed, so potential engine failure/complications were avoided.

  I changed my brake system out from the stockers to slotted rotors, stainless steel lines, and upgraded pads and the "mushiness" went away.

  Good luck on your drive to Enid.  Don't sell your Scirocco short.  I drove from Alamgordo, New Mexico (Holloman AFB) to Los Angeles and back to Alamogordo on a bad hose (didn't know it) and the car was fine.  The Sciroccos are tough little hombres :)

  Good luck on your repairs.

  Steph

  Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power -- Abraham Lincoln
  http://www.stephygee.com