Fun with the 87 today.

So I have been tempting fate I know...

Despite the fact that the 87 and it's bastardly remote starter DRAGGED my
sorry ass (last year) across the FTSCLANT parking lot, I have been using it
as of late because it's cold and I am too lazy to go out and start the damn
thing, so I MAKE SURE it's out of gear, put the defroster on high and rear
defroster in the on position every night before I lock up the car.

So this morning I hit the button and she starts but idles a little rough (I
sometimes have to rev it a little to get the battery/alternator light to go
out--we've beat the self excitation thing to death I know) I didn't think
much of it.  So I finish getting ready and go out and the car died.  That's
a little odd--doesn't do that much.  So I get in and start it and then I
hear THE SOUND.

Holy Batshit batman what is THAT?!?  It sounded almost like there was NO oil
in it.  I mean it sounded horrible.  As you know I am trying to extricate
myself from the mess formerly known as my Navy Career, and I HAD to be at
work in 20 minutes to do a separation physical.  I did not have time to play
musical cars and get the R32 out.  Also it was cold this morning and I was
worried about the summer tires.  The 85 is down because of a bad battery, so
I was a little screwed.  The oil level was ok so I restarted it, gingerly
rev'ed it once or twice seemed ok but sounded like a rock in a coffee can.
So I popped the hood and it wasn't too hard to figure out ONE of the
accessories was in the process of shitting itself.  Which one?  Oh well
screw it I'll drive it and if it dies then I will have it towed home I
really didn't have time to futz around with it.  I drive it to work and I am
watching all the gauges like a hawk to see if anything is acting weird.  I
still missed my sep physical, and I had to get to work so I forgot about it
until I came out this afternoon.  Well it was making the noise still but not
quite as loud.  What gives?

Now a little backstory here... the Navy has decided after 12 years of
service that I will be getting out with NOTHING but a bill.  They found some
loop hole and took my severance away, and it seems that I may OWE them money
on the way out the door.  Not real happy.  Yes I am fighting it tooth and
claw--I have a congressman involved and now the news media, and I am going
through every governing instruction with a fine tooth comb.  So LONG story
short I have been taking it out on my poor Scirocco.  When I am frustrated I
tend to drive it alot harder than normal, and I think this is why something
broke.

I limp it home and pop the hood and start poking around.  It's amazing what
you see in the daylight.  The lower bolt for my alternator had come
completely loose and was just barely in there.  How I didn't lose it and the
alternator, and not set the whole works on fire is BEYOND me.  I tightened
everything up and it's quiet except for the rattletrap exhaust.  ;)  I am
just really happy that this was a "free" repair.

Chris

--
85 Scirocco 16v (conversion) Burgundy
87 Scirocco 16v Tornado Red