Oil pump problem?

--- silvius14@comcast.net wrote:
> Stupid question?  How would I know if my oil pump wasn't working?  I have a 1982 with a 1.7l and
> while the driving yesterday the oil light and alarm came on a number of times.
>
> I checked the oil level and it was/is fine.
>
> Karl

Before you go diving into sensors and the OP warning system, let's cover first things first: what
oil are you using?  Your symptoms are common, at least on early-ish hydro head 8Vs.  My Cabby did
it before I moved to a slightly heavier oil.  If you are using 5W-xx, move up to 10W-30 or so.
Worth a look at and a lot easier than dragging out the schematics and meter.

HTH

Ron