OT Jetta III

We figured out what it was.

This is actually pretty damn funny.

You have to pop the hood.  Lock the drivers side door with the key and then
go and pull the negative battery cable.  Wait 30 seconds and then reconnect
the battery cable.  Once done then all you have to do is unlock and start.

And oh yea... turn around in a circle and click your ruby red slippers
together.

That worked.  We got a hold of the previous owner... long story, but at one
time this was MY car as well.   Don't ask me why this works.  The PO said
that it was the factory antitheft system.

Whatever.

Thanks for the input.

Chris