Now SMS was 4k tranny?

Whew...of all the trannies I have torn down, a surprisingly high number either had SMS or were
about to.  I'd guess at least 25%, maybe up to 40% I wasn't comfortable with when I opened them.

Remember I got a lot of SMSd trannies in partial trade for a good one I'd supply (most folks just
want to get rid of them).

I do not recall having seen SMS on an F- tranny, probably because of better rivets.

Some trannies that were about to go have had the little hats (that are supposed to keep that
little shaft contained) either loose or worn through from the shaft, but the major catastrophe
hadn't happened yet.

Frankly, it's a bitch for a normal DIYer to tear down a tranny, apply the bolt kit, and
reassemble.  On top of that, it's a "while I'm in here" sort of thing...the project can keep
growing.  Roughly $200 in parts alone if'n you put all new synchros in (which I don't do for my
trannies because some just don't wear out and I'm a cheapass besides).  This when we can get
replacement boxes for a lot less, if you're connected to other VW fans.  Still, if you want to be
sure of many miles, it has to be done, because Fritz decided to be cheap, stupid, or both.

For anyone doing this, I'd at least replace (with bolts) the two rivets that align with the shaft
(but I've always replaced them all, because I'm cheap but not stupid)  And of course add the
circlips.

Maybe someday I'll be doing more...it's been a year at least (ask Daun!!).

HTH

Ron