[OT] Circuit Board Repair

I've done this countless times.  It will last longer than the car.

Just scrape the green stuff off the copper trace to expose some "fresh"
copper.
http://www.jimruffi.com/pics/fix_1.JPG

Use a 25-35 watt pencil iron ($10 radio shack one will do fine)
http://www.jimruffi.com/pics/iron.JPG

and some small diameter rosin core solder:
http://www.jimruffi.com/pics/solder.JPG

Strip some insulation (about an inch and a half) from the end of the piece
of speaker wire and twist 2 or 3 strands together, creating one
small-diameter stranded wire.
http://www.jimruffi.com/pics/fix_2.JPG

Lay the end on the  one side of the break.  Apply heat from the iron to the
trace and wire at the same time....after about 3 seconds, apply a little
solder, while still holding the iron.
http://www.jimruffi.com/pics/fix_3.JPG

Remove the iron immediately after the solder begins to flow.  It's very
important that you don't allow the wire to move as it cools for a few
seconds.

Lay the other end on the other side of the break.  Solder it down.
http://www.jimruffi.com/pics/fix_4.JPG

Cut off the excess.
http://www.jimruffi.com/pics/fix_5.JPG

Most common mistakes are: too much heat and too much solder.  Less is more.

HTH
Jim