water pump

So the water pump sprung a serious leak out of the weep hole in the bottom.  Potterman sells a complete unit including the housing, and Bentley basically says, take the alternator off, remove a coupla belts. The job looks do-able. Then tonight I read some horror stories in the .org archive about stripped and broken pulley bolts, demon possessed a/c brackets, bleeding knuckles, etc.

I figure, this car is 21 years old and I am likely to run into the same problems.  Maybe I should just buy the pump and pay a good mechanic to install it.  If anybody has replaced a water pump recently, especially on an A/C, power steering car, any tips or advice greatly appreciated.

Leo
84 "orednge" wolfsburg