any TDI owners out there?

On 1:32:30 pm 08/17/05 Anthony Pelletier <vwnuts@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey are there any high mileage tdi owners out there?
> How do you like the tdi?  Are they reliable?  Do they
> start well in the winter?
>
> With the price of gas going through the roof & the
> fact that I put 20-25K a year on my car, I need
> something that gets some decent mileage, so a TDI is
> looking like a good option.  I am going to look for an
> older passat or a3 (hopefully a wagon) to replace the
> SUV...  Just wanted to get your thoughts on them and
> what to watch out for.
>
> Thanks,
> Tony

I'm finally back from down your way! (Mass) Anyway, I've had two diesels,
the 87 TD I put 300 000 kms on and looking at its service records? All
normal stuff, oil, brakes, that wear stuff. never any problems starting it
unless glow plugs were dead. This 99 TDI of mine just turned over 207 000
kms, it took me $35 worth of fuel to get from here to the Cape, that's 600
miles. Not bad. It's had what I'd call more A4 platform issues (and not
many of those either), and I had some boost issues when I chipped it. (It's
unchipped now) It was never as happy a starter as my 87, and I replaced the
starter this winter, it starts fine now, I think it was just a sluggiush
starter motor all these years. As long as battery and starter are fine
it'll start up, though I do plug it in when it gets really cold. The newer
ones have issues with the MAFs going bad, and the intakes clogging with an
oily soot mix (EGR+crank vent fumes), both will make the car feel sluggish,
so drive a few to get a feel for what is normal. (both issues can be fixed
though) And remember, they're no 16V for redline, you have to shift sooner.
A lot sooner. As for older Passats/A3s, no clue, no experience with either
(except as donors). Fred's TDI page is the standard online resource. At
about my mileage, exhaust, suspension and brakes seem to need work, so
scrutinize them. GL, all those Europeans can't be wrong...

Cathy, burning oil for nearly 20 years...