Advice on a daily beater Scirocco

It's been a few years since I've subscribed to this list.  My wife used to own
an '84 Scirocco.  Great car, very reliable, if a little noisy and small.  A
few years ago, she sold it to a friend because it no longer made sense for
us to have 3 cars.  This friend quickly broke the clutch (don't ask), and
was quoted $350 to lift the engine and make the necessary repairs.  It's
been outside in her side yard in Austin,Texas for about two years now, never
restarted or fluids drained, clutch plate still suspected of being dead
(clutch pedal has no resistance).

I'm coming back to the US, and will need a daily beater.  It's got to be
reliable, inexpensive to purchase and maintain, and able to handle 30+ miles
per day to get me from the suburbs into town and back every day with cold
air conditioning on full blast.  This sounds like the Scirocco my wife
used to own.  I loved driving that car and am considering buying it back and
putting several hundred dollars into it to get it ready for me.

My question to the list: What goes wrong when a Scirocco sits in the heat
for 2 years?  I'm worried every fluid needs to be drained before starting it
(will a simple oil change and coolant change be enough?).  Maybe there are
hoses that should be replaced at the shop as soon as I can tow it there to
get the clutch plate fixed?  What else that used to be so well known about
this car is now questionable?  Is the freon gone?

Now that it's likely going to be a daily beater, there's one persistant
problem it's always had that will need to be fixed-- I hope someone here
can tell me where to look.  When the RPMs are low and the engine is warm,
the oil light will flash.  Revving the engine a bit turns it off, and adding
more oil doesn't resolve the problem.  She doesn't leave any oil puddles
at a rest.  I'm no mechanic, but I wonder if it's a sensor or the oil pump
that doesn't like the heat.

Thanks for any advice and give me a wave if you see a British racing green
'84 Scirocco driving around North Austin after the first of February.