From: "Foxx (in a box)" <foxxinabox@wideopenwest.com>
To: "scirocco list" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 8:17 PM
Subject: [ot] gas price vs. mileage

   this may seem lame, i know, but the rising price of fuel got me
thinking about whether cheap gas was worth it. i sat down and did the
math and was quite surprised.
   on shell gas i get about 31.5MPG in my '85 8v. speedway gas gets me
about 29.5MPG. using a standard figure of 10 gallons (make the math
easy) we get 315 and 295, respectively. at $2.50 a gallon for shell and
$2.45 for speedway (a rough going price comparison here in columbus, oh)
you get $25.00 and $24.00. divide the price and you get cost of fuel per
mile.

shell    - $25.00 / 315 = .07936 cents per mile
speedway - $24.50 / 295 = .08305 cents per mile

   shell is the clear winner at nearly half a cent more per gallon. in
fact, it's not until speedway gas drops fifteen cents less at $2.35 does
the cost per mile become comparable: $23.50 / 295 = .07966 cents per mile.

   i'm not advocating gas companies here. my '86 8v seems to favour
marathon/exxon better. just trying to point out that even though gas may
be cheaper per gallon elsewhere, it might be costing you more in the
long run. just my 2 cents.

--
  /\_/\   Foxx (in a box)
< o o >   http://foxx.tripod.com