Bad news!!

 Kevin,
 That is GOOD news indeed.
Now, the question is: which is/was responsible for saving the crossmember;
A) the welding of the cracks,
B) the brace,
C) both of the above, working in concert?

 Seems to me that the only safe route to take would be C).

PS.  Kevin, how do you like the R32 at this point?   I sat in one at the
dealer about six months ago when I was there getting parts, and nearly
succumbed to it siren call....

Larry
sandiego16v