Bad news!!

Sorry to hear that, John.
I'd definitely weld the cracks first.  What do you have to loose?

Larry

HI,
    I was obviously working on the 87 16V Roc today. As I was underneath
trying to troubleshoot a noise the car makes when the brakes are applied. To
my horror, the front crossmember had a 2" slanted crack in it. This was on
the front near the air intake port. There was also a smaller crack by the
front motor mount.
    Is this something that can be welded? Is the brace the only option? I
know there was a great amount of discussion about the brace recently and I
don't want to reignite that again.
Sadly,
John