Slegato acquisition - Cathy's spin on it.

On 1:11:12 pm 08/10/05 "Mtl-Marc" <marc_scirocco@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Congrats to Daun for buying my Slegato!
>
> I am very confident that Daun will turn it back to its original
> beauty, perhaps for next Cincy, and that will make it even more
> compelling for myself to finally attend the big party. We could start
> a new trend here: if you wish to attend, sell Daun a Scirocco. :-P
>
> It was also extremelly nice to finally meet with Cathy and Daun. They
> are as nice in person as they are on line!!
>
> Good luck Daun, and see ya soon!
>
> Cheers.
>
> Marc
> '83 Scirocco
> '88 Slegato *SOLD*
> '97 A4Q

Well, Marc, it was a pleasure to finally meet you, and I think you need to
join our little Canadian convoy to Cincy. It's funny how well the Slegato
blends into the garage here, marking it's spot with a curious muddy blend
of oil and coolant.
It has been quite the week or so for me, first my cousins from Boston were
here, then a friend from Calgary, and finally a long list of "listers".
First to arrive Saturday night was Julie, with her daughter Jillian, and
Draco, her MkI 2L 16V. She'd driven about 7 hours, including a "tour" of
Ontario. Daun arrived shortly after, (his drive is a legit 7-8 hours, and
HE knows how to get here) and the usual sorts of things followed, unloading
a MkI door from Ohio for Julie, examining our Passat carcass for potential
pillaging, and some photo ops along Lake Erie with Draco and Klaus. It was
a good visit, and "tech procedures" were minimal, just a few DPR
diagnostics.
Daun and I had a relaxed start for Montreal the next day, and Julie headed
back home. F150 seats are not as comfy as Rocco seats, but it was a nice
enough trip, and of course we had to go "see the car" that night, so Daun
could sleep. Anyone who's bought one sight unseen at distance knows what
that's about, you always envision the worst. This one's an unusual colour,
a deeper red than the usual kitted MkII, and it has RED interior. And it
speaks both official languages. (Daun may need to learn to cuss in French
when he works on the car). One of the wierdest things about the trip was
the patio umbrella dropping from the sky. Now I see double rainbows when I
buy a Rocco (seriously, for both of them), but this tumbling umbrella
falling from hundreds of feet in the air was just wierd. No plane to drop
it, it was just there, falling from the sky. Had to be a sign.
One of the saddest things? An awesome tunnel in Montreal, and we were
driving the Ford (with a sissy six), not a screaming Rocco :(

Sunday we managed a good visit with Marc, and then picked up the tow dolly.
Next door to the UHaul place were two Roccs, and we went and talked to the
owner, or Marc did, I listened in and once again realized that my French
sucks, especially for car words. We got the car strapped down, and headed
home. The UHaul dolly worked well, and we used the Monday "return" as an
excuse to do some parts shopping, including a stop at a shop that had two
Roccs sitting in it (one of each). Sightings are few and far between, so I
figured I'd mention it. Arrangements had been made for another GTG in the
evening, and we weren't home long before Drew (in Carrots, his Turbo Diesel
Mars red 84 Wolfie) and George (in, get this, an exact twin to my hubby's
Protege 5) rolled in. At one point, we had 5 Roccs, 2 F150s and three
Proteges in the driveway/garage, along with my usual selection of other
German scrapiron. Food, "beverages", and of course "tech procedures"
followed. Klaus got his knock ignition back, and he's so much happier, and
he also got a new fuel filter. There seemed to be some problem with his
tires that (ahem) SOMEONE thought could be resolved by "rapid rotation" all
the way through first, and just like shampoo, it had to be "repeated" a few
times. "Gino", (the new guy from Quebec) got his engine bay degreased, and
a quick cleanup ( including draining the "water hazard" in the spare tire
well). Daun was also educated in the wonders of the Robertson screw. Then
the traditional poking of the Slegato's (not so) soft underbelly with
pointy objects, and on to draining the mochachino out of his coolant
channels. The need for a head gasket was known when the car was purchased.
It was a good evening of socializing, and was very productive in the
wrenching department. "Progress was made" , as Drew would put it.
Daun and I went out this morning to see how far into head removal we could
get before breakfast, only to discover my "favorite fastener" on the intake
manifold, the ever popular "rounded bucket bolt", so we pushed him back in,
and Daun headed for Ohio. He'll be back before long. And he THINKS I'll
release the car to him. Muahaha.

As usual, this is such an awesome group of people. I'm enjoying having
another Rocco on the place, even though he won't stay. And the adventure
isn't over yet, Gino still needs to get his US citizenship, eh?

Cathy, updating on my sig....
1978 Kolibri Green 8V (Klaus)
1980 Porsche Red 8V (rusty red parts Rocco)
1987 Arctic Blue Metallic 2L 16V (the Silver Headache)
1988 Paprika Red Slegato (Gino)   ;)
and some other scrapiron