From: scirocco-l-bounces+patrick.bureau=gmail.com@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces+patrick.bureau=gmail.com@scirocco.org] On Behalf
Of GREG DUNN
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 7:13 PM
To: Scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Cam ID help.

> Any way to tell how high this is going to push the power band??  I love my
> low end torque(2L ABA, JH head). Will I still be able to drop the power
band
> back down with an adjustable cam gear to make it feel "the same" but with
> more power?
> I've never really played around with cam gears much, and I've only had
> experience with a stock cam and my G-grind.

Well, that ABA isn't a real (naturally aspirated) revver without a fair
amount of work.  And I have had quite a few of them, so I am not talking out
my butt.  With exactly the same setup on a 3A, it is a totally different
animal in terms of revving.  The 3A (even with a heavier flywheel) revs more
quickly and doesn't mind being rapped out to higher rpms like the ABA seems
to.  Probably has to do with Rod Ratio and other aspects, but it has been a
long hot day, and I am tired.

On a good note, the 8V VWs are uber easy to do cam swaps in.  And, the ABA
has more torque on the bottom than the 1.6/7/8 that the 272 cam was
originally designed for.  Throw it in and see how you like it.  Nothing is
free, so you can't just advance it and  get more power everywhere, like a
"better" G-grind.  However, if you drive your car like I drive, well,
anything, I bet you like it.  And advancing it 2-3 degrees will make it a
touch more civilized.  Play with ignition timing wherever you end up, as the
requirements change when you change something as dramatic as the camshaft
and valve timing events.

Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

gd