The double edge sword of VW undercoat - 75 resto update (pics)

On 4/19/05, GGehrke <ggehrke@gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally, I would think that you're going to at least mess up the
> paint no matter what, so why not strip it out as well and hit it with
> better stuff.  What is going back in as far as carpeting/sound
> deadening/etc?

Nothing is going back in - I'm going to paint the interior and leave
it that way (although this car will be a dual purpose car for now -
eventually it will be a dedicated track/fun street car after the other
75 gets done next winter...)

> A good undercoating or truck bedliner or something
> would probably be a good idea, and you could just do that rattlecan
> style for a couple bucks.
> I used an air hammer with a chisel tip to get the sound deadening
> stuff off the floor and then used a sandblaster to take off the
> residue and paint.  It actually didn't even mess up the metal too bad
> as long as I was careful with it.

Most of the sound deadening crap is already gone.  The only stuff I
need to remove in the interior is the glue that held the carpet down,
and adhesive on the roof that head the sound deadening down (or
up!)...

I don't want to use a sandblaster, because the sand will get into
every nook and cranny, and will vibrate it's way out for years...  Too
messy...

Since I'm painting the inside and it won't be covered up with carpet,
I'd like to smooth the metal as much as I can.  I'd prefer not to go
to bare metal though - I'd much rather just scuff up the original
paint and prime/paint over it...  Finding something that will remove
the adhesive, but leave the paint intact is the problem I have at the
moment...

Later,

Mark.
75