The double edge sword of VW undercoat - 75 resto update (pics)

On 4/18/05, Jeff Toomasson <area53@validpath.com> wrote:
> Looks good, man!  Are you sure you want to put all this work into a _track_
> car??  ;)

I've asked myself this question a couple times now, but this car
really deserves the treatment I'm giving it.  First of all it's a 75,
plus for the most part this car is super solid.  It would be a shame
to ignore what little rust there is and just cover it up, only to have
much more serious problems in a few years.  Take the rust I found
behind the fender as an example - if I let that go, the whole door
jamb might be in jeopardy of rotting away in the coming years...

Another reason I'm doing this is to learn new skills.  I've always
wanted to learn bodywork and paint - so this car is basically a "test
run" for me.  I've been doing a bunch of research over the last year
or so, and took a small welding course as well.  I also talked to a
guy who runs a small bodyshop (he restores muscle cars), and he's
agreed to rent his booth out to me and help me with setting up the
paint gun, and give me pointers.  Hopefully I can take what I've
learned from this project and apply it to properly restoring the 75 I
bought from Noel to better-than-new condition...  Who knows, this may
even turn into a career change for me - I'm rather "done" with
construction/carpentry work, although I make good money at it, my
heart just isn't in it anymore...

Thanks for the support guys!  It helps to know that I'm not the only
one looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Later,

Mark.
75
80 S