The double edge sword of VW undercoat - 75 resto update (pics)

I spent my day doing this:

<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/ds_stripped.jpg>

to both front sides.  After removing both fenders the other day I
noticed a bit of surface rust in places where there was no undercoat,
so I decided to remove all the paint and undercoating in all but the
"wells" themselves - which look mint.  I'm very glad that I decided to
do the extra work because this is what I found lurking underneath the
rubber in one spot:
<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/rust1.jpg>

All caused by this small area where undercoat was missing
<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/The_cause.jpg>

Water was finding it's way behind the undercoat and the metal was
rotting from the inside out.  This was the only actual rust/rot that I
found on both sides though.  I will cut this area out, and weld in a
new piece.  I have a bit more paint/undercoat to remove in some of the
tighter spots (didn't have the right tool today for that) before I hit
the entire area with some Picklex20, then primer, and then rubberized
undercoat.

A shot of the perfect passenger side inner fender area after stripping:
<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/ps_stripped.jpg>

Here's the tool I started to strip the undercoat and paint with:
<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/wrongtool.jpg>

And here's what it looked like 5 minutes later:   :)
<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/wrongtoolafter>

This wheel worked GREAT on my 4 1/2" grinder for removing any
undercoat, paint, or surface rust:
<http://home.cogeco.ca/~mardak/right_tool.jpg>

It made enough smoke to set my smoke alarm off though, so I ended up
having to put a switch on the alarm.  It really made quick work of it
though, and didn't wear down that fast either.  I used one wheel up to
do both sides.  Depending on how masochistic I feel I may even attempt
to remove all the undercoating on the bottom of the floor this way.
Since it's a fairly flat surface, it shouldn't be too difficult - time
consuming and tedious, yes, but I used to make jewelery for a living
so that ain't nothin!  :)

Tomorrow I will finish cleaning up the tigher nooks and crannies that
the wire wheel didn't get, and start cleaning up the engine bay and
rain tray...

Later,

Mark.
75 - life extension underway...