Calif. Senate to vote Tu 4-19 on speed cameras - $400 tickets in the mail

I had an interesting thing happen to me regarding the cameras. I'm
very sure I was caught speeding by a car mounted camera (they do exist
here in the MD/DC/VA area, they park them on the side of the road,
unmarked, and snap photos of speeders). I was in DC, I saw the car
after I passed it, then saw the camera flash in my rear view mirror.
Funny thing is I never got a ticket. Might have to do with my plates.
I have historic plates in MD and I was pulled over by a cop in
Delaware who told me he could not get any info on me or my car when he
tried to run my plates. Anyone know anything about if there's a glitch
with historic plates or am I just crazy?
Nate