From: "Mark F."
To: "Scirocco-L"
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 3:31 AM
Subject: Somebody stop me! - 75 stripped (pic)

Well one thing led to another, and before I knew it my 75 track/street
car is A LOT more stripped than I first intended... :) I hate doing
a half-ass job of ANYTHING, so I wasn't happy until every nook and
cranny was exposed so I could properly assess any potential problem
areas... Here's a pic:

(note the cool 75 inner fender "Y" brace)

I'm glad I took the time to remove the fenders, as there was a bit of
surface rust hidden under there... Nothing serious, but rust
nonetheless... The 75 fenders were EASY to remove compared to the
later Mk1's - there was only about a 1/4 of the monkey-snot that the
81 I stripped had, and I was able to remove them with zero
damage/distortion... Overall this car is crazy solid for a 75 -
considering the minimal use of undercoating that the factory applied
on the 75 and 76's... Any rust I do find won't be a problem though,
my order of Picklex20 arrived in the mail today. I'm going to use
this product throughout this project and report my impressions...
Seems like a kickass product...

All the glass was removed, as was the hack rewire job the PO did.
Half the work I've put into this car so far was "fixing" PO
butchery... I really wish the guy wouldn't have removed the rain tray
and other bits and pieces - this car will never return to stock
condition I'm afraid... But, that also gives me some freedom in doing
things to it I would never consider on a more "stock" car...

It's been a LONG time since I've been this motivated and excited in a
car project - maybe cause it's MY car this time! :) I can't wait to
show it off at Cincy! :)

Later,

Mark.
75