axle nut vs. breaker bar + worst repair nominations

Dan Bubb wrote:
> Gee, I don't know what to say....
> Plus there's the noise factor. I don't want the neighbors to think I'm
> running a garage.

Compressor is only for filling flat tires.  Shhh.

> Then there is the "feel" factor. I guess I'd like to know if I'm going
> to break a stud or bolt before I actually do so I don't have to resort
> to easy-outs.

I'm so with you on this.  Any pimply teenager with a whirring air gun in
his hand suddenly feels like he's a bigtime mechanic.  It takes
something more to truly know the ways of metal.

> And lastly, I'm a big fan of torquing things to factory specs. No sense
> tightening the piss out of something so you have to use an impact to
> remove it.

If you never give your car to morons you will never more need to undo
something that's overtorqued.

> I think people assume "big nut", need to use a 4' breaker
> bar. Balls! The spec's only 150 ft-lb. (or there abouts).

If the breaker bar and cheater pipe took it off with one jump, then one
jump oughta snug 'er right back up.