CV Bolt Type/Size

> Chad Eatock wrote:
>> Anybody know the sizing of the torx bolts on the cv axle attachment to
>> the tranny?  Gotta clean and tighten those suckers up so they don't just
>> fall out again....man.  I used a smaller than ideal sized torx wrench to
>> tighten them up....just wondering what the actuale sizing is cuz the set
>> I got doesn't have the right one.  Thanks!!
>>
>> Chadster16v
>> ___
>
>   OK, I usually tout Virtual World (http://www.parts4vws.com), but this
> here is the uder guys, whos good to:
>
> <http://www.germanautoparts.com/tools/Volkswagen/Clutch%20&%20transmission%20tools>
>
>   Note the two sizes, you usually find the drivers w/ a 1/2" back end*
> in a four pack of the common sizes at your local parts place (Pepboys
> has em). The ones listed in the tools URL already have a socket back end
> attached.
>
>   In VWs you use the 8mm mostly for CV joints and the larger size to
> pull head bolts.
>
>   Don't try and use a TORX, it'll strip. (Some older Rabbits actually
> used an Allen bolt instead of the later 12 point fastener.)
>

> hth,
> TBerk
> * I have dedicated a 1/2" deep socket (3/8" drive) to the 8mm driver.
> Some gaffers tape to secure it so it wont fall out and all is well.

I've been able to get them from the local parts store (UAP?) and I think
CTC even has them these days. They may also be called "spline drive" or
something like that. I have one Snap-On tool, and it's that socket. When
you use it, get a paper clip or something to clean out the heads of the
bolts, and tap the drive in there good and firm. An assembly of
long/wobble extensions will let you do it in comfort from outside the car
(ie, not under) (this tip from the hymnal of St. Andrew's Church of the
Blessed Acceleration, thanks Drew!), and while you're at it, check your
starter bolt, it's likely one of those drivers of a different size, may as
well get both at the same time. That way if you ever need to do a clutch,
take off the front mount, starter etc, you're all set. I keep both of
those oddball drives in my mobile tool set.
--
Cathy
"A true friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg even though he