CV Bolt Type/Size

Chad Eatock wrote:
> Anybody know the sizing of the torx bolts on the cv axle attachment to the tranny?  Gotta clean and tighten those suckers up so they don't just fall out again....man.  I used a smaller than ideal sized torx wrench to tighten them up....just wondering what the actuale sizing is cuz the set I got doesn't have the right one.  Thanks!!
>
> Chadster16v
> ___

  OK, I usually tout Virtual World (http://www.parts4vws.com), but this
here is the uder guys, whos good to:

<http://www.germanautoparts.com/tools/Volkswagen/Clutch%20&%20transmission%20tools>

  Note the two sizes, you usually find the drivers w/ a 1/2" back end*
in a four pack of the common sizes at your local parts place (Pepboys
has em). The ones listed in the tools URL already have a socket back end
attached.

  In VWs you use the 8mm mostly for CV joints and the larger size to
pull head bolts.

  Don't try and use a TORX, it'll strip. (Some older Rabbits actually
used an Allen bolt instead of the later 12 point fastener.)

hth,
TBerk
* I have dedicated a 1/2" deep socket (3/8" drive) to the 8mm driver.
Some gaffers tape to secure it so it wont fall out and all is well.