From: Adrian Culda <adrculda@yahoo.ca>
To: John Gates <gatesj@mailblocks.com>; sciroccos@earthlink.net;
scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Sent: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:14:21 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: RE: axle nut vs. breaker bar + worst repair nominations

I have a Blue point impact that i have payed close to $500 and the
inlet pressure is ~190-220Psi.
had it for almost 3 years, and its still the original hamers and
gearbox in there. It also depends imensly on the quality of the tool
that you ar using. I had a CH that lasted 2 days.

John Gates <gatesj@mailblocks.com> wrote:
My $0.02, others on here have far more experience than me, but I've
been doing this for a few years...

I would NEVER put that much air to my wrench. Most of them have a
maximum inlet pressure of 90psi, anything more than that causes damage
and excessive wear to the tool. If I had a $30 Harbor Freight wrench I
would do it but not with my $200 IR 2131A...

And from experience, if you but an impact wrench, don't even bother
with the cheap junk, you have to buy something good or it won't be
worth the money you spent. If you're on a limited budget it's even
worse, you just 100% wasted that money if you buy something cheap.
There are a lot of things where cheap HF crap is just fine but this
isn't one of them. I went through several cheap wrenches that wouldn't
even take lug nuts off without hammering and hammering. My upper end
IR not only takes off lugs with ease but has no problem with 173ft/lbs
rusted axle nuts and 1 1/8" rusted to crap radius arm nuts on my old
Ford truck.

I have to admit, I did have to hit those radius arm nuts with the
Oxy/Acc torch just a little, but not much, not enough to melt the
rubber bushings. Just a little heat applied properly (quickly to the
larger surrounding part, the nut in this case) is your friend.

Buy 3/8" ID hose at least also so your tools can get plenty of volume.
And set your regulator to 90psi with the tool RUNNING. These both make
a huge difference.

It's not so much the air pressure as the quality of the wrench and the
size of the line.

John Gates
--
'85 Scirocco, Flash Silver