Rocco is alive

> Subject: [VWC] Re: Rocco is alive

> Chad's story:

>   >Took the rocco out today for a spin but before I took it off the blocks
> did a check of her and found that almost all of my Torx type bolts that
> hold
> the CV axle on the driver side had all come loose and were almost falling
> out!  <

Carol's story:

 HOLY SHIT!
> EVERY bolt that holds the driver's side CV axle on the transmission side
> has
> come out and is sitting there!  Every last one!  6 bolts just sitting
> there!
>
> Then
> it hit me.  I had just been doing 80 on the interstate shortly before
> that!
> Holy Cow!  What if that had happened THEN instead?!

My story: Must have been the weekend for it...mine was on the other end,
had been out for the first rip of the season in the 16V and heading for
home I hear this HORRIBLE noise. Clunk, clunk, clunk. Brake hard, pull
over, I'm sure it's a snapped axle or worse, the tranny, bottom end of the
engine etc. It was LOUD. Look under the car, no fluids pouring out,
nothing out of place, no gaping holes, nothing. Double check to see where
the noise was from (suspecting my recently installed rear caliper) Nope,
it's in the front, and BAD. Look at the front brakes to see if a pad
slipped or something, and three out of four wheel studs are completely
missing. I was riding on one stud/nut. (And I had been doing in excess of
160 at one point, yipes) At some point they had backed right out with
their nuts. So boys and girls, if you've done a stud conversion, red
locktite AT LEAST, not blue. And check that the studs are turned in fully
each time you change wheels, torqueing to spec means squat if they have no
purchase on the hub. Or so it would seem. Yeah, this car wants me dead.
Just not yet.
--
Cathy
"A true friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg even though he