OT/OFT Batteries and Pennies

--- Ron Pieper <rapieper@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- "John C. Worden" <johncworden@verizon.net> wrote:
> > At 11:59 PM 4/5/05, Tonee Northam wrote:
> > >My next door neighbor from Memphis told me that taping pennies on top of
> > >the battery will attract corrosion away from the battery terminals.
> > >
> > >Is this hillbilly anywhere near right?
>
> never heard of it - but pennies are copper-plated zinc, and zinc is a sacrificial anode for many
> purposes, like outboard engines...

Ok - I did a few Googles and found that this is pretty widespread, and very probably valid.  It
acts as a sacrificial anode, allowing itself to be destroyed so the corrosion won't attack the
valuable stuff.

I wonder if the newer zinc pennies are better than the old copper ones?  One newsgroup post said
the penny would last 6 months to a year...Hmmm...a cheapass "gotta do."  Off to the penny jar...

Cheapass Ron
Preventing corrosion, 1¢ at a time.