Sputters and dies

This sounds way to similar to waht happend to me when I had to send the car to the shop and it ended up being a distributor....I chnaged pump relay, grounds, the pump (only one in my car), Fuel filter, air filter, checked the fuel distributor and some other stuff, but it turn out to be the dizzy!

The car would turn and start and then after a while it would crap out, loose power and become erratic. The Tach went crazy, with the needle bouncing all over the place and the sounds of what seem to be back fire were coming from under the hood. Then the car would die and finally it would sound like a carburated version of a car that was getting flooded when I tried starting it back.

Sound Familiar?
I dont know how to check the proper operation of a distributor, but Im sure the bently has a test. At least the mechanic new that is what it was. By the way my 82 is automatic, Your 87 is too rigth? I dont know if that has relevance, but it may.

HTH
Tony

"Foxx (in a box)" <foxxinabox@wideopenwest.com> wrote:
> I posted last week that I thought i had a bad transfer pump in my 87. I swapped it today for what i thought was a good one. Didn't fix it. it will run for a bit then the main pump starts to howl and the car sputters and dies. So what your guess? Still a bad transfer pump? main pump? Could it be a fuel filter issue?

fwiw, my main pump made noise when the transfer pump was bad. i
replaced it with a _known_ good one and the sound went away. as for it
running then howling, i would guess that it is getting hot and not
wanting to pump any more which equals a new pump or known good used one.
not the most fun thing to replace but it's better than being stranded.
that said, you might want to check your filter anyway. wait until the
pump starts making noise and dies then empty the filter. put the filter
back on and run the car again and shut it off before it dies then drain
the filter once more. see if more fuel is in it the second time. this'll
also help you see if you have any rust, sediment, etc. in the lines.
good luck.

--
/\_/\ Foxx (in a box)
< o o > http://foxx.tripod.com