[VWC] Oil pan bolt question and a 16V parts needed question

Daun Yeagley wrote:

>--- "John C. Worden" <johncworden@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>>I had to take the pan off on the 16V and I've got it back
>>on, except I
>>don't have the two bolts
>>that are closest to the transmission on.  They weren't on
>>when I took the
>>pan off either, but
>>I would like to have them on there.  Any tips for getting
>>them on there?  I
>>have tried the 1/4"
>>drive ratchet with socket and extension and it is too big
>>to fit in
>>there.  Is there a special tool
>>for this?
>>

>I want to say that only a particular brand of socket will
>fit, but I don't remember which, although I think I've done
>it with a Craftsman & a wobble joint.
>

>Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio

Yeah, thinking back I believe I used a short craftsman 1/4" socket and
extension with enough "wobble" at the joint to get me in there.  I have
also since purchased a 4" "flex" extension for my 1/4" ratchet, but I
don't know if it would be any better.  IIRC, the socket didn't fit
squarely on the head of the bolt until it was threaded in maybe halfway,
but it should be doable.

It may be that those two bolts are easiest to install if they are the
first to go in when installing the pan... (or maybe that would be the
hardest, what do I know?!)

Last year I installed a VW Motorsport windage tray (with the cool
reusable integrated rubber oilpan gasket).  It came with it own set of
bolts which were a little longer than the old bolts.  Upon installation,
I was torqueing everything down (by feel, not by torque wrench), and the
very last bolt I spun the head of the bolt right off!  Doh!  I tried to
use a Craftsman Micro Bolt Extractor on the thing, and dammit those
suckers are a pain in the ass.  I think I've busted about three of those
bits over the last year on various broken bolts, never having success
removing the bolt stub.  They are strong but very brittle. Anyways, no
leaks from the oil pan, but the next time I do engine work, I'll be
taking the pan off again and trying to get at that stub.

Let us know...

- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
   '86.5 Black 16V 2.0L (Scirocco)