Port matching

> From: "Scourge" <scourge@cogeco.ca>
> Date: 2004/09/22 Wed PM 07:08:41 EDT
> To: "Rocco list" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> Subject: Port matching
>
> So, while I've got the head off and manifoldness I was thinking some port matching(right term?) may be a good idea. I've been told it can make a huge difference.
> What's the best way to go about this?
> I was thinking:
> 1 bolt gasket to intake manifold and mark any areas that don't match up.
> 2 very carefully grind away excess material
> 3 bolt gasket to head and mark any material to be taken off.
> 4 again, very carefully grind away excess material.
>
> Will this work? Or will it just fuck up my head and manifolds? Should I do anything like this, or just leave it as is?
> The head will only be off for a day or two while I'm swapping the bottom end, so sending it out to have any work done is out of the question.
> For clarity sake, this is a JH head with a G-Grind cam, dual outlet manifold(will have a TTdownpipe), and intake manifold will have an audi 5K throttle body.
>
> Any input is appreciated!
> thanx
> -George

I did this on my highly-used JH, and it yielded great results.  Your plans for how to attack the problem sound fine, I would just make sure you blend deeper into the bore so that you get the increase you are looking for.  BTW, the exhaust mani will not take well to port, esp. if it is used.  Do the head, but not the mani, way too hard after work-forging...  TT did a study BTW, sent a mani to Extrude-hone, and they saw a very small benefit (like 2 hp), so it is too costly in time or money to do...

HTH

David

---Chrome don't get you home.---