Fox question

Foxes are great cars, they share the 1.8 low compression motor of the
same era Golf/Jetta but the exhaust has a restrictive 'dough nut' after
the manifold to reduce the performance a bit. (Couldn't have the smaller
car cut into the Jetta market share, now could we?)  This can be
remedied with either /and/or an Audi part or aftermarket units.

Overall high RPM based HP is down a bit but low end torque is still
there, they pull off the line OK.

The motor/transaxle combo are not crossway in the Fox but laid out
fore/aft, but it's still front wheel drive.

The suspension components, performance wise, are diminishing in breadth
of choices but again there is stuff meant for Audi cars that can be made
to fit, as well as 'some' A2 Golf/Jetta things- I'd need some time to
reassemble my since forgotten Fox know how to be definitive, as I used
to own one but haven't in over ten years.

For the money, if the motor passes a compression test and there aren't
any obvious gotchas press it into duty and do your 'replace all fluids'
thing.

The forums on VWVortex are a bit sleepy, Fox wise but helpful, as may
the old VW FAQ:

<http://www.nwlink.com/~vdb/cars.html>

The Fox makes for a decent Two Liter Upgrade platform, so it's sleeper
potential is high.

I'd say, go for it.

hth,
TBerk