What the heck is going on? Bearing or CV Joint?

Thanks All.  I think I will go ahead and pull the cv and have it
rebuilt by the local guy tomorrow.  What tool is it that holds that
inner cv to the diff?   Is it something fairly common that I might
have? I remember when we pulled the before it was not a metric
socket... An allen head? Torx Bit?  Triple Square?  Size?

While I am disappointed, it is not with the purchases of tools.  I had
that bearing puller when I had my first Scirocco.  It ended up in the
stuff I never got from the ex.  So, I am glad to have one again. I
also picked up a few other tools this weekend that I needed at some
point any way. The garage just needs work to organize all the tools
and have them where I can get to them.

About pulling the cv and replacing it.  Is there any "while your in
there" things I should look for and take care of as well?

Thanks,

Dave