Distributors - Light Actuated Sensor Timing

Been thinking about a retrofit kit to the standard distributor used in
VWs, older models still use points, although a lot get swapped out
during motor swaps.

I was thinking with the (seemingly) common failure of Hall Sensors &
brittle wiring for same it might be worthwhile to develop a kit that
could fit under the Dist cap and fire off a signal the existing system
would not find any different than the standard one if not a little more
precise and long lasting.

(Of course a really groovy thing would be a better seal for 16v units.)  :])

Well, it's a'Googeling I go: Light Actuated sensor.

TBerk
(yeah, I've been watching Spike TV)