USRT "Braille" batteries (was Re: Dyna-Batt)

David Utley wrote:
> I have not tried either one, but a lister sells a smallerf battery...
>  Scott F. Williams...  He has a link on VWVortex...

Yes, I must confirm this vicious rumor. It's entirely true. I do sell very
lightweight (11.5lb) batteries for use in street and racecars. They're
drycells and can be mounted in any position. Dimensionally, they're
amusingly *tiny* at only 5.80" x 3.32" x 5.88".

They crank at 360CCA which is enough to spin over even an R32 with ease. As
for capacity, they're rated at 15Ah. And, since they're deepcycle types,
they can be drained to a low charge and then recharged again and again
without damage. In other words, a street-driven Scirocco is a piece of cake.

In regular daily driving, you won't notice any difference at all. However,
the handling balance is improved nicely. Holding a neutral line through a
corner is made noticeably easier. And, the reduction in weight overall makes
for better acceleration and braking. Installation requires some cheap
j-hooks from NAPA or Poop Boys, but it's *much* easier (and ultimately far
lighter) than relocating to the trunk.

For comparison's sake, here is a shot of my battery compared to a stock VW
32lb unit: http://clam.rutgers.edu/~dreadsct/resell/battery/VWcompare.jpg

And, here's the heavy VW lump on a scale:
http://clam.rutgers.edu/~dreadsct/resell/battery/VWstockweight.jpg

Finally, here's how my batteries compare to the competition:
http://clam.rutgers.edu/~dreadsct/resell/battery/braille_comparison.jpg

I think Tony Pelletier is the only Scirocco-l member with one installed in
his 'rocco. Maybe he'll chime in with his thoughts. Anyway, I'm willing to
do a group buy for you guys if 5 or more folks are interested.

Word,
--
Scott F. Williams
Team Director

"Ask me about fuel injector upgrades, fuel pressure regulators, fuel pumps,
boost controllers, intercoolers, smart intercooler spray kits, water/alcohol
injection, ARP fasteners, Spec clutches, and super-lightweight street/race
batteries."