How do you tell if a Water Pump is good?

I have a complete Water Pump and housing but don't no if there is a
way to tell if it is any good.  I suppose the worst case is I could
just buy a new pump and attatch it to the housing and bolt it on.

Oh I forgot to mention I building a new 2L 16V for my Scirocco.  If
any one has any of the bolt on parts like oil filter housing, breather
housing, etc...  I would be interested so I don't have to rape my
other engines.

--
Don Walter - Waukesha, WI
1986 1.8 16V Black Scirocco