From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of C Boyko
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 9:35 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Smoke 'em if you got 'em (long)

Well, just for the annoyance of it, another of my little bedtime
stories.
This is truly on topic, since it involves two A1s.

So I finally break down, or lay down, whatever, and go to the dealer for
replacement air boot for the 16V. Going back, oh, maybe a month, hell,
let's go right back to the spring, there has been a string of issues
with
my everlovely 16V. There was the gas leak, which was the rubber hose to
the filler neck, the filler neck AND the gas tank itself, followed by a
faulty tank install X 2 (O ring not seated/ fuel line leaking) The fifth
repair was the charm. No problems, but the gas huffing was getting to be
an issue. I've been clean for a month now.
So I had, well, three or four nanoseconds of truly enjoyable driving
before my hubby toasts the clutch. No issues, I got a new one, (of
course
there were delivery issues, part of it got delivered to the wrong place)
but while it was out, some idiot clodhopper managed to locate my air
boot
and put a tiny (3" long) vaccuum leak in it. Again this is the headache.
It's normal, I manage a big job like a clutch, only to have the car left
undriveable once again over a stupid rubber hose. So I order one from
the
dealer, it came in Saturday, I went up and they were closed, despite the
"holiday hours" posted on the door indicating that they were open. SO,
yesterday, finally, FINALLY, I get my boot, jump out of the DD, still in
my work clothes, eager to hear my baby run. As I'm leaing over the
engine
bay, the phone rings: "Mom? (it's my daughter) - I had a problem with
the
Cabby, there was smoke coming out of the wheelwell and the bearing's
shot.
But I got it fixed already (at the shop she had the accident driving out
of)" So immediatley, I tell her the one bearing looked wierd when I put
it
back on, so that wasn't a surprise. I automatically blame myself. Then I
realized it was Klaus' bearing I'd done, not the Cabby, someone else
f*ck$d up that bearing, it wasn't me!!

So I go in and change my clothes, then off to begin break in on my
clutch.
I get a ways down the road, stop to check it, and I can smell clutch.
Perfect. Friggin' Perfect. Wait, it's coming from THE BACK! Damned E
brake
was stuck. Two for two on the smoking back wheels I guess. And you say
I'm
nuts when I say they talk. Klaus stayed parked. As did the bug. Gotta
love
A1s. One big German conspiracy.

Someone was asking about rebuilding calipers? I'm putting brand spanking
new ones one the list for Christmas. I'm sick of prying them open. This
is
the second set of used ones in four years.

I'll give a report on the clutch when it's broken in and I can beat on
it
a bit more. So far, so good anyway.

Cathy
1987 2L 16V Scirocco - the Silver Headache
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V - Klaus- sounds like half a Chevelle plus a Weedeater
"Misery loves company" (Old Proverb)