UPDATE Heater fan replacement

In case anybody's interested, here's the deal; it is indeed possible to
get the fan out of an 85 mk2 thru the rain tray BUT the cover is held
in by a screw and a bolt that you can't get to unless you pull the
glove box, pass air duct and drivers side tray/lower dash cover out.

In related news, the fan I pilfered out of an 84 Rabbit (a very nice
sealed unit) will not work as a replcement for the one that's in the
car (a scary looking, Tesla-inspired unit with what looks like external
brushes!).  I'm considering taking the fan/motor to an electrician to
see if the bearings replaced rather than pay for a whole new fan.  If
anybody has use for the fan I pulled lemme know and we can work out a(n
extremely cheap) deal.  Pics available upon request since I don't think
I can post them to the list.

Thanks campers!

-scott