rust treatment?

Napa has 25' rolls of 3/16" brake line and should
have the metric line nuts.  I cut the line about the
right length, slide the nut over the end, flare it
per the instructions in the flaring tool set (reason
I mentioned the OTC/Stinger one is that I've found
it to be a great quality tool for very cheap, never
made a bad flare with it if it's used right), screw
the newly flared end into the fitting on one end,
bend and fit the line along the way to the other end
and cut it off at the right length.  Slide another
nut over this end and flare it.  Screw it together.

Notes:

The VW line is teflon coated or something, if you
can get a roll of it, it's probably better against
corrosion but more expensive.  The Napa line is
galvanized and has held up just fine for me on my
domestic cars.

You also need a line cutting tool.  Available also
at Napa, etc.

DO NOT forget to put the line nut on before you
flare.  You'll curse a lot when you realize you have
to cut your nicely made flare off, slide a nut on
and do the flare all over again.

Make some practice flares first before you do the
real thing.  Do it a couple of times and you'll
quickly get comfortable with it.

Note about the tool.  When they say to tighten down
the end of the flaring bar that the line is closest
to first, they mean it.  It's the only way to get a
good grip on the line with a reasonable amount of
pressure.  Tighten that end down first then the
other end will have a leverage advantage for
actually clamping down on the line to hold it.

You absolutely positively need quality line
wrenches.  These are almost like box end wrenches
except the have a small cutout at the tip so you can
slip them over the line to get to the line nut.
They grip on 5 corners.  Open end wrenches are way
more likely to round off one of the soft nuts.

You may or may not be able to get the old line out
of the rubber hoses/calipers/wheel cylinders.  Your
best bet for this is to soak it down with PB blaster
and go at it with a good quality line wrench.  I
have used a little bit of heat too but then replaced
everything that was close by in the brake system
because I was afraid that the rubber seals/parts
were damaged.

You need to bend the line with a bending tool, it
keeps the line from flattening when you bend it.

Obviously you have to bleed the system afterwards.
You can bleed by foot (don't push the pedal down too
far in the bore, it's a good way to ruin an older
master cylinder), vacuum or pressure bleeder.  I
prefer pressure bleeder by far, the Motive bleeder
available from germanautoparts.com
(motiveproducts.com) is only about $50.oo and worth
its weight in gold, IMO.  It makes a 15 minute job
of it.

Honest, it's not really as intimidating as it seems.

John K. Gates
--
Rome, NY
'97 Jetta GLX - daily driver