MkI Speedo(meter cable) question

Okay, so the gymnastics have begun (Ron was too slow getting here, so I
got started on my own...)

Backtracking: Klaus had one of those two piece cables, which got swapped
out to clear a small amount of hand space around where the grommets in the
firewall are. Having no MKI handy, we installed one from a Rabbit, which
BTW is about 7 cms shorter than it needed to be. So that one twisted
itself into oblivion. So once I got home, I put the one from my 80 MkI
parts car in, and it didn't work.

Question/problem: So I pull the guage end off, and the little white shaft
comes off with the rubber still attached (mind out of gutter for a wee
second here, I don't know how else to describe it). Do you know what I
mean, it's a square nylon/plastic shaft, and it's got a rubber flex piece
that attaches it to the cable that spins it from that white gear in the
tranny. SO can I just push this back onto the cable and hope it'll work,
or is it f$^%$ked?
In that case, will a MkII speedo cable work? I don't remember what the
guage end of that one looks like. Don't I just have all the luck? How
simple should this job be? I'm ready to park them for the year at this
point.

Cathy
1987 2L 16V Scirocco - the Silver Headache
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V - Klaus- sounds like 0.33 of a Chevelle
"The light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train"