starting problems

Background: '79 with a 2L 8v swap. Tried starting it last night and nothing. Lights on the dash were nice and bright, 12v on the voltmeter, but the starter did nothing. Tried jumping it, same thing. Tried jumping the starter solenoid to the pos battery cable (with the key in the "on" position). That started it, but once I removed the sire it stopped. Now when I try to start it with the key it does the same thing: starts on the "start" position, but dies when I turn it back to the "on" position. I thought the problem was the ignition switch, but now I'm not sure. Could this still be an ignition switch problem or it is something else?

p.s. I'm on digest mode so please respond to my address directly.

Thanks!
Nathan nathanlowe@charter.net